I am mostly interested in the brain responses during auditory processing in healthy subjects and patients after brain damage.
I am trying to find out how different brain areas interact and how affective and prosodic information is processed.
- processing of prosodic and phonological information
- processing of emotional sounds
- processing of laughter
- language processing in normal and clinical populations
- modelling of inter-hemispheric connections
- the biological pathways of sound processing with respect to communication purposes
- developmental aspects of speech & language processing
- speech segmentation on phrase and discourse level using ERPs and fMRI
- processing of durational, tonal, and spectral properties
Research topics currently under investigation:
- brain reactions to morpho-phonological information encoded in vowels; with Prof Aditi Lahiri, Drs Sandra Kotzor and Beinan Zhou.
- processing of fronted fricatives in English; with Prof Aditi Lahiri, Drs Sandra Kotzor and Beinan Zhou.
- brain responses to intonation and pragmatics; with Dr Brechtje Post, Cambridge.
- understanding sarcasm; with Dr Rachel Mitchell, King’s College and Prof Peter Woodruff, Quatar.
- early brain responses to Mandarin Chinese tones; with Dr Jinxing Yue, Profs Roelien Bastiaanse and David Howard (Groningen, Newcastle).
- brain responses to emotional information encoded in speech and music; with Xiaoluan Liu, UCL.
- processing of laughter; with Prof Dirk Wildgruber, Tuebingen.
Senior Lecturer in Auditory Cognitive Neuroscience at Newcastle University, Institute of Neuroscience
Visiting Senior Research Fellow at University of Oxford, Faculty of Linguistics, Philology and Phonetics, Language & Brain Lab
1999 - 2001: Assistant Professor (German C2) Neurocognition of Prosody,
1997 - 1999: Senior Research Associate Neurocognition of Language Processing,
1995 - 1997: Senior Research Associate Natural Language Processing,
1994 - 1995: Research Associate, Phonology Group, Research Center for Linguistics,
Typology and University of Berlin
1990 - 1993: PhD student in Linguistics, University of Leipzig
I have a track record of about 110 publications, including 55 Journal papers, and my h-index is 35. My work has been cited more than 4000 times.
Alter K. Le rire comme element essential de la communication sociale. In: Courtet,C; Besson,M; Lavocat,F; Viala,A, (eds.). Mises en intrigues. Paris: CNRS Editions, 2016, pp.199-210.
Yue J, Bastiaanse R, Alter K. (2014) Cortical plasticity induced by rapid Hebbian learning of novel tonal word-forms: Evidence from mismatch negativity. Brain and Language. 139C:10-22.
Galán F, Baker MR, Alter K, Baker SN. (2015) Degraded EEG decoding of wrist movements in absence of kinaesthetic feedback. Human Brain Mapping. 2015 Feb;36(2):643-54.
Henrich K, Alter K, Wiese R, Domahs U. (2014) The relevance of rhythmical alternation in language processing: an ERP study on English compounds. Brain and Language 136:19-30.
Attaheri A, Kikuchi Y, Milne AE, Wilson B, Alter K. Petkov CI. (in press) EEG potentials associated with artificial grammar learning in the primate brain. Brain and Language.