In the WORDS project we employed psycholinguistic research methods as well as electrophysiological studies to investigate the phonological representation of words in the adult mental lexicon. It included the following components:
The representation of features in the mental lexicon:
• Behavioural and ERP studies on the specification of place of articulation word medially in British English (semantic priming).
The representation and processing of durational contrasts:
• Behavioural and ERP studies of consonant duration in Bengali (using both fragment form priming and semantic priming).
• MMN study of consonant duration in Bengali.
• Comparative MMN study of vowel duration in Bengali and English.
The representation of word accent in the mental lexicon:
• Behavioural on word accent in Trondheim Norwegian (using both form and semantic priming).
• MMN study of the lexical specification of word accent in Norwegian.